Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Truck Driver Earns Six -figure Salary!

We usually associate truck drivers with low paying salaries. However this article on CNN shows how with some creativity, and luck, a truck driver was able to turn his truck driving job into a 6 digit income.  

Read  article below:

Name: Jeff McGee
Job: Semi-truck mover
Salary: $160,000
Age: 37
Hometown: Duluth, MN

I got a degree in science and I wanted to be a physician. But when I had a kid, I needed money and I needed it fast.

Since I was getting very few job offers in the medical field, I got a job as a truck driver. I didn't get any sleep, I was overworked and gained lots of weight from sitting in a truck all day and night. And I only made about $45,000 a year.

One day, I got talking with a man in a truck stop who told me how he worked as a semi-truck mover and made over $100,000 a year. So I looked into it and applied for a job.

Now, I deliver semi-truck trailers from one place to another. Not many people know about this industry because it's so much more specialized than just regular truck driving. As a transporter you pick up semi trucks straight out of the factory and drop them off at individual dealers.

I love it. I drive 600 to 700 miles a day, have my own vehicle, get as much vacation time as I want and the company flies me to each factory and puts me up in a nice hotel.
 Source: CNN Money

1 comment:

Technician 101 said...

The typical truck driver salary is calculated per mile. The entry level income in this industry is around 27 to 44 cents per mile, depending on the trucking company. average truck driving salary